Saturday 12 July 2014

The How & Why of Why I Write

Last week, I received an email from my friend over at 40YrOldDad inviting me to join in a blog hop about my writing process. This is how the conversation went:
40YrOldDad: Hey Lisa, I'd love for you join in a blog hop about writing because I think you're so hilarious and I want to the world to recognise your immense blogging talent.
Me: You are awesome.
40YrOldDad: No, you are awesomer.
Me: Ok. True. I'll do it.
That may not have been the exact words, but the answer remained the same. My answer was "I'll do it." 

A week later, and I'm still struggling to think of what to tell you about my 'writing process'. What the hell is my writing process? Do I even have a writing process? I think you may now suspect that I don't.


I'm not a writer. Never have been and never will be. I just like to blog. And whilst blogging and writing are kinda intertwined (because they're like, words and shit) I see them as kissing cousins of the literature family. And it's because of definitions like this that I will never be seen as a writer.

                          Flickr: Scott Beale
What am I working on?
At this very minute? I'm working on a very smooth bottle of Moscato, with its slight musk aromas and fruity flavours of peach, pear and apple and finishes with a light fizz. Now that's writing.

In terms of writing/blogging, I'm not working on very much (read 'nothing') except this. I'd love to be working on something - anything - but having nearly-five-if-they're-lucky twins, a clingy two year old and socially busy teenagers,  I don't get much time to work on even having a shower. 

Having said that, I work on my Facebook page Cut My Milk more than I probably should.

How does my writing differ from others in my genre?
This is a tough one. I'm not sure if it does differ from others of a similar category. Maybe it's the imperfection and disfunction of my family, the swearing, the creative wordmakiness, the taking the piss out of myself - I don't know. I don't try to teach or preach. I may be one of the few people who write from the mouth, rather than the heart or the brain. It's quicker and stupider.

Why do I write what I do?
For many years, I saw many therapists. Psychiatrists, psychologists, counsellors, cognitive behavioural therapists, all to help me with depression, psychosis, anxiety & panic. I'd come out of these sessions worse off emotionally and financially. So, I turned to blogging about my experiences for the world to see. I try to be as honest and candid as possible in the hope that someone with similar experiences, who may be silently reading my blog, can feel less alone. And it has certainly helped me to realise I'm far from alone. And if I can make you giggle or snort wine out your nose at the same time, that's a bonus.

Oh, that and attention seeking. Exhibitionism at its finest.

How Does Your Writing Process Work?
I rely on my kids being idiots and doing stupid stuff as inspiration. 

When I get the urge, I just write. I'm not a planner. I don't write rough drafts. I just go for it. It's very hit-and-miss. But to do this I need the all-important time thingy. When I start to write, it must be finished and published the same night. My post box is filled with draft versions awaiting completion. Like that's gonna happen.

I like to write as though I'm having a conversation with someone. I find it easier to write as I would speak. Evidently, I'm not great with the talking words shit either.

But I need to want to write something. I need to feel passionate about something, or to vent. Maybe my blogging has slowed down because I'm actually feeling… well… feeling good at the moment.

One thing I have learned about my writing process through joining in this little blog hop event is that I can't seem to write if I'm asked to write. Bloody hell, this was harder than I thought. Visions of being underprepared for my Year 12 English exam… going to my happy place now, happy place.

And now my empty bottle of wine signifies the end of my so-called writing process. But before I swill the last dregs from my glass, I'll introduce you to three of my bloggy friends who will hop along to the next blog hop (sorry, that was the wine talking, it's such a dumbass).

Tegan
Tegan blogs at Musings of the Misguided where she writes about parenting, mental illness and everything in between.  She started her blog as a place to put on her comfy ranty pants but it's turned into a place to share her experiences with the mental health system and how she copes with a child who loves to avoid sleep.  When she's not faffing around on the internet she can be found spending time with the two main men in her life, her 4 year old and a partner with the patience of a 1000 saints.

Beck
Well, the name of my blog kind of explains it really. It's about me, muddling through each day with my handyman hubs, 2 adorable little munchkins, two super spoiled dogs, a crazy kitten and an assortment of farm animals… My brain runs on caffeine, my kids' cuddles, love, wine, giggles and books. I make mistakes. I swear too much. I bake awesome cupcakes. I can't stand dishonesty. I love animals. I piss people off sometimes. I try to be the kind of person I want my kids to grow up to be. Most days I fail miserably, but I'm working on it.

Lauren
Just over 4 years ago I was rubbing shoulders with celebs on a day-to-day basis (shared a building with the studio of an Aussie TV show & would often be crammed in the lift with some Aussie stars) & had my finger on the pulse as an award-winning-journalist in the big smoke. Now living on the Gold Coast with 4 children under 4 (8-month-old twin girls, a 2yo boy & 4yo girl) at home, I'm a social media (& chocolate) addict & enjoy reading/sharing anything & everything from celeb goss/baby news to pregnancy/parenting topics & trends, general news or trashy TV. I blog (when I get a chance) at Gold Coast Mum & enjoy being social on my Gold Coast Mum Facebook page. I love getting out & about enjoying everything the Gold Coast has to offer (& maybe even to avoid dealing with the bottomless pile of laundry that needs putting away at home).


**And don't forget to pop over to always Josefa where it all started!**

3 comments:

  1. Great post. I think I was in the same Year 12 English exam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I hear ya! I'm very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. I'm always in seeing how other people approach the writing process. I actually don't think of it as a writing process, but rather a creative process, but that's neither here nor there. I feel like I'm comfortable writing in my own voice, and from your posts I've read you're comfortable doing that as well, but a lot of people really wrestle with that.

    Love the blog. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete